The Fourteenth Workshop on
Technical University of Munich
Numerical Ranges and Numerical Radii
"Max-Planck-Inst. for Quantum Optics, MPQ"
June 13-18, 2018.
The year 2018 is the 100 anniversary of the celebrated Toplitz-Hausdorff Theorem asserting
the numerical range of an operator is always convex. There has been a lot of research
activities on the topic after this fundamental result was established. The high level
of research activities are due to the many connections of the subject to different
pure and applied areas.
The purpose of the workshop is to stimulate research and foster interaction
of researchers interested in the subject. The informal workshop atmosphere
will facilitate the exchange of ideas from different research areas and,
hopefully, the participants will leave informed of the latest developments
and newest ideas. One may visit the website
WONRA to see some
background about the subject and previous meetings, and also the
Wiki page for the history of the workshop and related meetings on the subject.
Furthermore, to celebrate the 100 anniversary of the Toplitz-Hausdorff Theorem, there will be
a special workshop in the summer of 2019 held in Japan (Kyoto/Osaka area), and the 2020 workshop
following the usual schedule will take place in Coimbra in the summer of 2020.
- The Technical University of Munich.
Schedule, Title and Abstracts
- June 13. Arrival and registration. June 14-15. Talks.
June 16. Discussion and social events.
June 17-18. Talks and reports of new results.
Program and abstracts.
- There will be a registration fee
150 EUR pp (students for free) to
cover the lecture-hall rent (2000 EUR) during teaching season plus catering.
- The university will soon open a credit-card
accessible account for this fee.
- Please notify Chi-Kwong Li (ckli at math.wm.edu) if you plan to attend the workshop by May 15, 2018.
Provide you Name, affiliation, email.
- If you are giving a talk, please also submit your title and abstract to Chi-Kwong LI
by May 15, 2018 using the following
The hotels are very
close by (1 underground stop of 2 min) and thus smaller in scale.
One can use the code TUM-WONRA to get the discount rate upon
booking by telephone or by e-mail.
(Unfortunately not for online-
Hotel "Koenig Ludwig", Garching: http://www.hkl.de/home-en/
* 96 EUR/night single (10 available for us) with booking code TUM-WONRA
* whoever needs a double-room (5 available for us), please also
book here and use same code
* email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* tel: ++49 89 329310
* location 50 meters from underground U6 stop "Garching"
Google map for details.
- Hotel "Hoyacker Hof", Garching: https://www.hoyackerhof.de/home.html
* 79 EUR/night single (20 available for us) under quota/key TUM-WONRA
* email: email@example.com
* tel: ++49 89 326 9900
* location 200 meters from underground U6 stop "Garching"
* See Google map for details.
- Students may prefer "Motel One", Munich-Hochbrueck,
(two underground stops off research center)
* 59 EUR/night no further special offer
Travel and transportation
- Getting from the underground stop "Garching" to our first venue on campus
"Max-Planck-Inst. for Quantum Optics, MPQ" is very convenient:
See Google map
Martin Argerami, University of Regina.
Aleksandra Badowska, New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD).
Catalin Badea, University of Lille.
Natalia Bebiano, Unviersity of Coimbra.
Janko Bracic, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia janko.bracic at fmf.uni-lj.si
Mao-Ting Chien, Soochow Unviersity.
Man-Duen Choi, University Toronto.
Michel Cruzeix, University of Rennes.
Cristina Diogo, Instituto Universitario de Lisboa, Portugal. cristina.diogo at iscte-iul.pt
Doug Farenick, University of Regina. (organizer)
Luyining (Elaine) Gan, Auburn University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Titas Geryba, NYU Abu Dhabi
David Gross, Technical University Munich.
Thomas Huckle, Technical University Munich.
Daniel Kressner,Technical University Munich.
Pan-Shun Lau, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Chi-Kwong Li, College of William and Mary. (organizer)
Nischal Mainali, NYU Abu Dhabi
Hiroshi Nakazato, Hirosaki University.
Hiroyuki Osaka, Ritsumeikan University.
Panayiotis Psarrakos, National Technical University of Athens
Ed. Poon, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Norbert Schuch, Technical University Munich.
Thomas Schulte-Herbruggen, Technical University Munich.
Ilya Spitkovsky, NYUAD.
Nung-Sing Sze, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Konrad Szymanski, Marian Smoluchowski Institute of Physics, Jagiellonian
Tin-Yau Tam, Auburn University.
Fatemeh Esmaeili Taheri, University of Coimbra.
Frederik vom Ende, Technical University Munich.
Stephan Weis, Universite libre de Bruxelles
Michael Wolf, Technical University Munich.
Wei-Ru Xu, East China Normal University.
Karol Zyczkowski, Jagiellonian University.